Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Whole Group Instruction - An Apple A Day Linky Party

Summer has officially gotten very busy with spending time with my boys, taking them swimming, and doing all the things I don't have time for during the school year. Right now, I am laying in bed next to a precious napping 2 year old playing catch-up.
My precious baby!

I missed last week's post about classroom management, so I am going to combine it with my post on whole group instruction. After all, without a great classroom management system whole group instruction quickly turns to chaos. 

Equity Sticks
Equity sticks make whole group instruction in my classroom run as smooth as possible. For anyone who is not aware of what they are, equity sticks are craft sticks with each students name on them.  As I ask a question, I give wait time for every student to process what I just asked and develop their response (3-5 seconds). Then I draw a stick out of my cup and call the name.  That student responds and instruction continues.  I can chose to either put that student's name back in the cup, or set it aside until everyone has had a turn.
Star+Sticks
These are just an example of some I found on http://andersbookstorecatalog.com/.
The benefits to equity sticks are numerous. First, just like the name suggests, equity sticks promote equitable learning opportunities.  It is easy to call on the same students that always have their hands waving high with the correct answer waiting, but that method fails to engage the shy students, the struggling students, the students that lack interest, or the students daydreaming out the side window. Students never know whose name will be called so they must all be attentive and ready to answer.  Also, your students who tend to get lost in the fast pace of whole group instruction are engaged and retaining more information.  

A second benefit to equity sticks is that they allow you to quickly know who you will call on. As I pull the names, I do not have to go through the mental game of who has been called or not called.  That being said, I still hold control over the stick that is pulled.  Sometimes, I need a correct answer to keep the learning momentum flowing.  During these times, I pull the stick of the student that will give me the answer I am looking for.  I know this does not sound very equitable, but it gives you the flexibility to make whole group the best learning experience possible for all students in your class.

The last benefit that I will elaborate on is the reduction of students calling out answers in class. I train my students during the first week of school to not raise their hands during whole group time.  I teach the process of wait-time and stress that we 'hold' our answers until I pull a stick.  It takes time (especially with very impulsive students), but it is well worth the effort.

Behavior Chart
The next necessity in whole group instruction (which also incorporates classroom management) is my behavior chart.  This year I implemented a Pinterest inspired behavior chart that allows both upward and downward movement. All I have to say during a whole-group lesson is "I am looking for a blue!" Immediately my students sit a little straighter and focus better.  They want the positive acknowledgement.

Upward movement comes from positive behavior choices, while downward movement is the result of poor choices. I have rewards and consequences associated with each movement. One step up (blue), the student gets a skittle (Yes, just 1; but they want it).  Two steps up (purple), the student gets a reward card (also Pinterest inspired). With each downward movement they loose a privilege during the day.


Below is a picture of the coupons I used when they reached purple. Click here if you want to download them from First Grade Fever.  She has them posted for free. My students loved them!


My students loved Stinky Feet and Pet Shop the best.

Check out the Applicious Teacher and the blogs that have linked up with her An Apple A Day Linky Party.
theappliciousteacher.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment