Thursday, June 6, 2013

Writing Folder - A MUST!

This year my school district implemented a new focus on writing.  Each student would be exposed to the complete writing process: brainstorming, prewriting, revising, editing, and publishing. Teachers were required to keep copies of multiple writing samples from each student composed of samples from each step of the process. With 18 students, I soon found myself drowning in papers.  They seemed to cover every flat surface in the classroom.  My stress level went through the roof! I had to do something quick.

I sought out my 'best teacher friend', Pinterest, for ideas and guidance. I found several resources that gave me various components (I have links to the resources at the end of this post) that I combines with some original ideas to create a student friendly writing folder. 

I had several different goals for this writing folder. First and foremost, I wanted organization. In order to achieve this, I needed an easy way for students to know exactly where to put everything during the writing process.  I purchased each student two pocket folders without brads. I stapled them together to create a 4 pocket folder. Then I added labels to each of the pockets telling students what to put in it.
                       


My second goal for these folders was to gradually hand the writing process over to the students so that it could become somewhat of an independent activity. (I say 'somewhat' because I always had input in the editing process and sometimes the prewriting process for the struggling writers.) To accomplish this transfer of ownership, I added several resources which I pasted to the front and back of each folder.  These included resources such as paragraph formation, punctuation usage, commonly misspelled words, transition words, writer's checklist, and sample heading. I always referred them to this information before I would answer questions.  I loved to hear my students telling each other where they could find the answer they were seeking.
                         
        

These folders quickly became a staple in my classes daily procedures. Once we completed the writing process a few times as a class, I could assign writing assignments for them to do individually. As they finished each step of the process, they would turn their writing folder in for me to look at.  I would offer advice and direction during the prewriting stage and help with editing and revising once they had made  their own changes.  The folders were the cure for massive amounts of papers collecting around my room as well as a tool that helped students conquer the writing process.  

This next year, I will definitely utilize a writing folder in my classroom.  I plan to tweak  it, though, based on things that worked and didn't work this past year.  First, I plan to use a smalls binder instead of a folder.  In the binder, I want to use the pocket dividers for the various writing steps.  Also, I want to include tabs for information and resources specific to the types of writing we focus on (expository, opinion, and narrative). Finally, I want to have a central location for all of their published pieces. I am thinking a file box with a folder for each child.  I plan to have them store their published pieces in their numbered file for the entire year. In May, I will be able to gather all of the published pieces and create a writing portfolio for each student so that their parents can see their progress throughout the year.    

Links to Resources that I used:

http://msk1ell.blogspot.com/2011/07/writing-folders.html
http://teach-a-roo.blogspot.com/search/label/Writer%27s%20Workshop
http://teacherweb.com/SC/bells/madden/apt4.aspx
www.teacherspayteachers.com

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love the idea of having a different section for each step of the process. We use the Collins writing system, plus we are expected to do writing workshop and maintain a portfolio to be passed on. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around all of the different expectations so I can't imagine the kids!

    I had the kids keep a "portfolio" of their finished pieces in a binder. In a pocket of the binder, I kept their file folder with their portfolio pieces to be passed on. These were stored on a bookshelf and were not used on a daily basis. I had a general writing folder, but I soon found it to be a catch-all for papers and a mess. I think I will give the four pocket system a go next year!

    I'm glad I found you - I am moving to second grade next year and am looking for great ideas!

    Christine

    Leapingintoteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I made the move to second grade last year from kindergarten and it was a great decision. I hope we can get great ideas from each other. Good luck next year with your move!

      Delete